"". UA-20896369

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Speaking Of Pet Emergencies...

Since we were just talking yesterday about some of the common pet illnesses that likely require veterinary care, we thought we'd bring you this list of some of the items that dogs swallow...and then have to have surgically removed. You may get a chuckle when you imagine any pooch actually swallowing these things, but it does happen, and as you can imagine, it can be very dangerous! Now, so far, I just grab and chew but don't swallow, but just because I haven't "swallowed" yet, doesn't mean that I never will. So we're urging you Parental Units out there to always be vigilant with your dog, and keep dangerous items safely stowed away.

This list was printed in the Pet Place.com newsletter and compiled by Veterinary Pet Insurance in 2010. Read and commence to worry!
Note: While socks, sticks, hand towels and rocks were the more typical "snack" choices, the list that follows represents actual items removed from dog bellies in 2010.



  1. jellyfish
  2. glue
  3. estrogen patch/make-up brush
  4. tube of denture adhesive
  5. dead poisoned vole
  6. bikini
  7. ink pen
  8. plastic nose from teddy bear
  9. magnetic purse clasps
  10. baseball
  11. glass Christmas ornament
  12. hearing aid
  13. bed sheet
  14. box of pencils
  15. popsicle stick
  16. avocado pit
  17. dental floss
  18. coffee filter/coffee grounds
  19. fishhook
  20. pain relief tablet/B.B. pellet/highlighter
  21. tent door
  22. toy squeaker
  23. watch
  24. 16 steel wool pads
  25. pseudoephedrine/sponge/snail poison/tampon
  26. 20 cherry pits
  27. light bulb
  28. barbecue brush
  29. Frisbee
  30. jumper cables
  31. razor blades
  32. uncooked rice (1 pound)
  33. wallpaper paste
  34. squirrel
  35. balloon ribbons
  36. bird (whole)
  37. butter/sand
  38. deer antler (partial)
  39. extension cord
  40. leash/3 sticks of butter
  41. pin cushion
  42. portion of wool rug
  43. tobacco
  44. TV remote control
  45. 10 quarters/one penny/one Canadian coin/three arcade tokens
  46. foot-long submarine sandwich
  47. fire log
  48. wooden toy train
  49. pine cone
  50. round chew bone (whole)
  51. caulk
  52. eye glasses
  53. money (paper)
  54. oil-soaked dirt
  55. sand
  56. rosary crucifix
  57. 25 to 30 soiled diapers
  58. bath bubble mix
  59. bathtub cleaner/outdoor plants
  60. duck bone
While we're at it, we thought we'd pass on another list provided by the ASPCA consisting of the 10 top toxins that pets most often ingest. And guess what's at the top of the list? Human medications! Check out the full list here: www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/top-10-pet-poisons-of-the-year.aspx
So after all that, here I am eating something that is perfectly allowable: a dog biscuit offered by grateful students following my recent class lecture!

13 comments:

mayziegal said...

Wow...those are some ker-azy things doggies eat! But my favorite one is the dead poisoned vole. Cuz I like how they had to explain that it was "dead." That would have been even MORE ker-azy if they had pulled out a live poisoned vole.

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Maggie and Mitch said...

Wow - some doggies sure have different tastes! The razor blades really whigged us out! YIKES!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Marianne said...

What a great public service announcement! I've never even thought of Lucy swallowing most of those things, though I always walk through the house and try to pick up anything that I can imagine she would try to injest!

Bocci said...

Ha! I don't even know what a "vole" is-dead or alive! Anyone want to tell us?

And, PU says to tell you all that her dear departed Carson, the WF Terrier, swallowed at least one third of the things on that list, necessitating 4 surgeries and countless, hydrogen peroxide-induced barfings.

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

and I thought MY dog ate some unusual things!

Mine has eaten wood, plastic cases to CD's, part of a cell phone, rubber...

I am still reeling at the mention above of a dog eating a BEDSHEET??? Huh???

Khyra And Sometimes Her Mom said...

A vole is a litte mouse like khritter -

Mom's furst Sibe Taltia was khwite the vole snagger!

I khan still rekhall a post on somepup's blog about a GR in the UK that had upwards of 22-24 items in them!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Mr. Pip said...

Oh gosh, this gives me the creeps just thinking about eating some of these things. Yucky!

Your pal, Pip

Peggy Frezon said...

Kelly is proud to say she hasn't eaten any of those, except maybe dental floss, but she insists she was just trying to get healthy gums. I love that picture of you at school, what do you lecture about Bocci?!

Lorenza said...

It is incredible the amount of things that we doggies could "eat", right?
Thankfully chewing things is not my hobby!
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Wyatt said...

our first Airedale, swallowed a bar of soap....didn't even faze him.
We have to watch Wyatt and Stanzie like hawks. They love to explore the world with their mouths open..
Wyatt's Mom

Priscilla said...

Oh dear, the list is really long! I do hope there is nothing special in Eva's tummy now :)

Rachel Lauren Photography said...

Wow! There are some crazy things in that list! But I did see a few things that aren't dangerous, such as the deer antler. My dogs get them as chews, much more natural (and safer!!) than rawhide, etc because it does not splinter.

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all,

I used to try to steal paper towels or kleenex from the trash can and eat them. Finally, after having my clenched mouth pried open for the umpteenth time and getting "fire mouth" from the red pepper spray my Humans took care to spray in the trash can, I quit. Yep quit cold turkey!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...