"". UA-20896369

Friday, July 22, 2011

Beautiful Plants-Poisonous To Dogs

We thought we'd share this article from Dog Channel. com (Dog Fancy's online presence) about the hazards that some of our favorite summer plants can pose to our canine companions. It turns out that  the Sago Palm, Lily of the Valley, and two types of Crocuses (spring and autumn) are quite hazardous if ingested. The symptoms range from vomiting and diarrhea to damage to the stomach lining, liver, and even death. Yikes!
Photo courtesy of Dog Channel.com

The article also points out that fertilizer, soil additives, and of course, pesticides, can cause both immediate and long-term damage if ingested, or if the dog is exposed to these chemicals frequently.
Read the full article here: www.dogchannel.com/dog-news/2011/07/21/summer-plants-poisonous-to-dogs.aspx?cm_mmc=4920402.


If you even think your precious pooch has eaten something resembling these plants or that makes you feel uncomfortable, don't hesitate to call the Pet Poison Hotline: 800-213-6680 or better yet, why not check out their website in advance?

Stay safe!

P.S. There's still some time to enter "TImmy's Weekly Disaster Contest" for tomorrow's Blog Hop! Just fill in the blank: "And if Timmy ____________________, so be it! We're chasing squirrels and blog hopping!"

8 comments:

yuki the dog said...

this is a very good post and reminds pet owners to know and look out for plants that are toxic. In the area we live in, there are lots of oleander. I never knew this beautiful shrub or tree with beautiful flowers is toxic. That are everywhere, and since we had snow this year in the desert, it killed many of them, but the leaves are still toxic. What makes matters worse is the freeze has eliminated any bitter taste they would deter pets or children and has actual made the leaves taste sweet. One leaf can kill a 90 pound dog and there have been reports of firemen dying because they inhaled a burning oleander. Since these plants are used in homes and business everywhere, it makes hard to let the dogs in a yard because all it takes is a windy day to blow a few leaves into the yard.

Frankie Furter said...

Do you remember ... back in EARLY APRIL... there was a Dog in Columbus area that DIED... from chewing on a Sago Palm plant that his peeps had bought at Home Depot. THERE was NO WARNING on the plant that it was Dangerous to Dawgs. His peeps were devistated.

THIS is a Wonderful Post... We all need to be reminded of this. My mom LOVES spring Crocus BUTT she will NOT have them beclaws she worries that I might graze on them.

Thanks fur putting this up Bocci. You stay COOL buddy. Maybe ask your mom to make a FLAVOR ICE... like I brougth to the picnic... fur you. I had one about 1/2 an hour ago.. after I had made sure the trees had enough water.. hehehe

Mr. Pip said...

This is a very important post! I did know about Lily of the Valley (one of my mom's favorites). It's also poisonous to cats.

Another poison I like to warn everyone about is - Eggplant. Not a flower, but I had the misfortune of eating some once and became very ill.

Your pal, Pip

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

thanks for posting! We can never see these warnings enough.

Also cocoa mulch...HUGELY TOXIC, among many, many others!

meowmeowmans said...

What a great and informative post. Thank you so much for writing about this very important stuff!

Kolchak Puggle said...

Excellent info! Since I love to chew on everything under the sun, the Mama can only plant edibles now.

Sugar the Golden Retriever said...

Woof! Woof! Golden Thanks for this important article. When I was young, I accidentally ate a not so good mulch ... luckily I survived. Be Safe. Happy BLOG HOP Weekend. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Priscilla said...

Thanks for the warnings! We need them all the time.

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...